While each Care Connection for Children program is funded
and administered by the Virginia Department of Health, each
program is locally — not
centrally — managed, offering an optimally effective, community-based
approach to care. Members of the staff understand the needs of the children
and families they see each day. Their compassion combined with their
of the community’s many health care resources provide a foundation
of support for families who are often frustrated by the perceived health
Throughout Virginia, care coordinators
connect families with:
• Local health care providers who have expertise with children with special
health care needs.
• Specialized health insurance programs.
• Resources from the community.
• School programs and services.
• Other families experiencing similar situations.
• Ongoing help in coordinating specialty care and accessing services.
• Assistance in obtaining health insurance.
• Assistance in understanding and using their health insurance benefits.
• Information about and referral to community resources.
• Help in communicating with schools, payers, providers and community services.
• Help in determining eligibility for access to a “pool of funds” to
pay for those services where there no other sources are available, including
such items as medical